How can agroforestry help farmers adapt to a changing climate…?

October 8, 2012

Here’s a good article from SciDev.net exploring how agroforestry can aid small holder farmers adapt to changing climate and weather conditions. The article explores questions such as: How can agroforestry protect farmers from extreme weather conditions? How can agroforestry increase farm productivity? How can individual agroforestry systems be improved and expanded in different environments?

[BOGOR] Much is known about agroforestry — the mixing of tree species with crops and livestock to enrich farmers’ livelihoods. But less is known about how it can help farmers adapt to climate change.

This gap in our knowledge is increasingly worrisome. With weather patterns becoming more erratic, farmers around the world are finding it increasingly difficult to know when and what to plant, risking shortfalls in food yields.

South Asia and South-East Asia alone are home to more than one-third of the world’s population and half of the world’s poor and malnourished. Without new approaches to food production, climate change in these regions could reduce agricultural productivity by as much as 50 per cent in the next 30 years. With agriculture serving as the backbone of most economies in these regions, such plunging yields could have severe consequences. [1]

Understanding what strategies farmers can use to cope with climate variability and extremes of weather is an essential first step towards mitigating climate change and adapting to its impact.

Read the full article: Let’s add climate knowledge to agroforestry plans at SciDev.net

1. October 8, 2012 10:08:10 am

A hopeful idea and one that would avoid all eggs in one basket thinking that had prevailed…

• January 29, 2013 10:08:16 pm

I wish to express some aiapecirtpon to the writer for rescuing me from such a problem. After exploring throughout the online world and obtaining views which were not helpful, I figured my entire life was done. Living without the answers to the problems you have resolved as a result of your guide is a crucial case, as well as those which may have negatively affected my entire career if I had not encountered your blog post. That skills and kindness in playing with everything was important. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had not discovered such a subject like this. I can also at this time look forward to my future. Thanks for your time very much for your professional and effective help. I will not be reluctant to recommend your web blog to anybody who needs recommendations on this topic.

2. October 9, 2012 10:08:19 am

Thank you for this. I’m going to post a link to it on my own blog.

• Anthropogen permalink*
      October 9, 2012 10:08:05 am

You’re welcome! I’m glad you found it interesting.

3. October 9, 2012 10:08:48 pm

Living in Australia you don’t get a choice as to whether you ignore global warming or not… It’s here folks! As someone who chooses to work with nature rather than against it we have decided to use water wicking garden beds and to retrospectively fit water wicking systems alongside our long suffering fruit trees. We get a 3 month dry season here in summer and water wicking would offer us a degree of security against steep price hikes in our potable water. We are also looking to find a rainwater tank sometime soon to minimise our use of ongrid water for our food production. Once we wick all of our beds we then need to mulch them all to maintain surface moisture and our little beneficials to ensure that Serendipity Farm becomes a clean green glowing beacon of health visible from Google Earth! ;)

4. January 27, 2013 10:08:34 am

How did a spammer reply to my comment? Dima = spam!

5. January 27, 2013 10:08:04 pm

I don’t know, this same spammer has been offloading on to random posts on my site, under a different alias each time, but always a facebook url. WordPress isn’t picking them up. But I will “mark as spam now”.

6. January 27, 2013 10:08:09 pm

Cheers…it was an “interesting” reply to my comment to say the least! ;)

Trackbacks