Pomegranates and persimmons – Kefalonia, Greece

August 31, 2012

A few photographs of persimmons and pomegranates on trees in my wife’s parent’s garden in Kefalonia, Greece. Despite economic woes, Greece’s climate remains ideal for growing a huge range of fruits, nuts and vegetables. Almonds, figs, pears, and quince are also in season now, among other things. I’ll snap some more photos.

Click individual photos below to enlarge…

1. September 1, 2012 10:08:28 am

Its hard to believe that anywhere has anything growing at the moment when you are down in Tasmania and spring has only just sprung. At least you won’t starve with all of that fruit! ;)

2. September 3, 2012 10:08:08 pm

Can they grow avocados in Kefalonia?

• September 4, 2012 10:08:08 am

Paul,

Yes, I’ve been keeping track of a few trees on the island that all seem to do quite well. I’m growing a few seedlings now to try to use for rootstock to graft some of the locally growing varieties into. There’s even a fruiting mango tree here. 15 yrs. old. And in protected areas with good soil and irrigation during summer bananas will bear fruit.

3. October 15, 2012 10:08:16 am

Hello, we have a collection of different varieties of pomegranates here in portugal. I was wondering if we might be able to trade seeds? Especially if you have very tasty ones or especially yellow ones. If you know the name of the varieties its even better.

• October 15, 2012 10:08:44 am

I’m not sure what the specific varieties are, but these are some of the best I’ve had. Propagated from an old tree belonging to my wife’s grandparents. What varieties do you grow? You propagatate from seed or cuttings/airlayers?

4. colin permalink
    February 16, 2013 10:08:02 pm

hello,my friend is moving to ikaria and i might be joining him in the future,we are thinking of building an eco village,and i wanted to know how can i find out about what fruit,nut,tree’s we can grow there as i am vegetarian,what vegetables to grow,berries,also could we grow rice,i know a bit about growing but not enough,I used to grow tree’s years ago and i do know that most plants love seaweed…i was thinking if it gets very hot that surely you could build a place to grow plants in a cooler place…i have grown many plants and trees from seed/cuttings…any help would be much appreciated suggestions on books or dvds…thanks…peace to all..kind regards colin