Plectranthus amboinicus, Lamiaceae, Indian borage, Country borage, French thyme

June 25, 2008

I usually refer to this one as succulent oregano, because it smells like oregano and has fleshy stems and leaves. Filipinos call it oregano. It is called broad-leaf thyme in the West Indies. Although it can be used for culinary purposes in the same applications as thyme, oregano, or sage, in many areas P. amboinicus is more commonly employed as a medicine – as an aid in difficult digestion, for menstrual pains, rheumatic pains, and to aid flu symptoms. The aromatic leaves are used in india as a traditional cough medicine. In parts of Indonesia nursing mothers consume the leaves to increase milk flow. The essential oils extracted form the leaves are used in shampoos.

I have read reports that the plant can be smoked like cannabis.

1. August 29, 2008 10:08:17 pm

A esta la conozco como ‘orégano de hoja grande’, valga la descripción :)

2. MJ Barnes permalink
    October 27, 2008 10:08:57 pm

I need this herb in amounts of 15# to 60# at a time. Do you know of a grower?

Thank you.

• Anonymous permalink
      December 16, 2011 10:08:53 pm

i have a lot .

• December 16, 2011 10:08:12 pm

It’s extremely easy to propagate and grow. Cuttings, full sun.

• Anonymous permalink
      February 27, 2013 10:08:33 am

i have it growing wild in my back yard, herein jamaica its only the other day i discovered what it was and its purpose

• October 15, 2013 10:08:27 pm

I am from Jamaica and I can supply A vast amount of this Plant

3. Anonymous permalink
    June 16, 2009 10:08:52 am

my topic thesis in country borage area. it is so, difficulties to find newly discovery…

4. November 4, 2009 10:08:39 am

Here in South Florida we call this Cuban Oregano. There are also some lovely variegated varieties, with cream or lime-colored edges. We use it in spaghetti sauce, but hadn’t heard of the medicinal properties before. I will look this up, as it could be useful to us. Thanks for the tips!

5. September 17, 2012 10:08:04 pm

u can get this tree antigua my number 729 5156

6. March 31, 2014 10:08:57 am

If some one desires expert view about blogging after that i propose
    him/her to pay a visit this blog, Keep up the nice
    job.

7. March 31, 2014 10:08:25 pm

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment
    is added I get several emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service?

Cheers!

8. March 31, 2014 10:08:14 pm

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you, However I
    am experiencing problems with your RSS. I don’t know the reason why I
    can’t join it. Is there anybody else having similar
    RSS problems? Anyone that knows the answer can you kindly respond?

Thanks!!